Udemy unlisted shares
Udemy is a global marketplace for teaching, learning, and connecting teachers with students. They have 35 million students, 57K instructors, and 130K courses. Udemy has witnessed online course enrolment of 400 million and 100 million minutes watched. They provide courses in 65+ languages and 7000+ enterprise customers.
Udemy was founded by Eren Bali. He was brought up in Turkey with only limited educational opportunities. He started connecting with people and learning by using online resources after his family bought a computer. Inspired by the power of online learning, Eren founded Udemy with co-founders Oktay Caglar and Gagan Biyani.
The Business Model
The company is based on the model of charging instructors a fee for every course sale made on the platform. It can vary anywhere between 3-75%, they also have a yearly subscription available that allows users access to the platform’s content. The revenue share that the company applies to its Instructors are :
- Instructor Promotion – if the student purchases the course using the link issued by the instructor, then the instructor is giving 97% of the revenue
- Udemy Organic – when a student browses the website and finds a course of his/her interest Udemy and the Instructor share 50% of the revenue
- Paid Acquisition – when a student buys a course from the advertising displayed on platforms like Google, Youtube, Facebook, Udemy takes a 75% cut on the purchase, and the rest is given to the instructor.
- Udemy Business – this is another revenue stream of the company, wherein they provide a business plan to companies. The employees of the company can avail access to 4000 courses if their employer has bought the Business Plan. It includes a Team Plan and an Enterprise Plan basis the size of the company. If there are only 5-20 users, the Team plan can be availed at $360/year per user. Enterprise Plan covers teams with 21 or more users.
The company offers 150,000 courses in various fields like:
- IT& Software
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Self-Development & Communication
Udemy has raised over $270 million in over 9 rounds of VC funding and the company was then valued at $3.32 billion in November 2020. The lead investors are Tencent, Insight Partners, Japan-based educational publisher Benesse Holdings, Stripes, and Norwest Venture Partners
The company is expected to launch its IPO somewhere in March 2021 to raise $100 million.
Udemy Latest News
Udemy Company Address
10th Floor, ResCowork 07, Tower B,
Unitech Cyber Park, Sector 39,
Gurgaon, Haryana, 122003
Disclaimer: The above information is only for educational purposes and should not be taken as a recommendation to buy or sell.
While reasonable endeavors have been made to present reliable data so far as it relates to current and historical information, but we do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the said data or information. Please consult your financial advisor before buying or selling any unlisted shares.